HEALTHY EATING

As a school we take our responsibility to promote a healthy lifestyle seriously.  This year it is even one of our key priorities to encourage our school community to make healthy choices (pack suitable snacks and lunches) and to promote a healthy balanced lifestyle.

I came across an article called “Soda contributes to behaviour problems among young children” by Alexandra Sifferlen which highlights some very interesting findings around the affects of soda on our young children.

“Sugar-sweetened beverages are one of the major culprits in the obesity epidemic, but sodas have also been connected to behavioral problems among teens. That link apparently extends to young kids as well.

Among children 5 years old, according to the latest research, those drinking more sugar-sweetened sodas showed increased aggression, withdrawal and difficulty paying attention than those drinking fewer or none of the beverages”.   Alexandra Sifferlen, Aug 2013

The article seems to have some compelling research linking soda to some of the issues above as well as some good advice around alternatives.  Again, an interesting article and I have shared it with you to raise awareness as well as to create debate around what we are giving our children to eat and drink.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/16/soda-contributes-to-behavior-problems-among-young-children/#ixzz2efWgtcMS

Disclaimer – I take no responsibility for the quality of the comments that others have left on the web link above, nor do I endorse, condone or agree with the comments that have been made.  They simply reflect the feelings of individuals that have made them and do not reflect my views in anyway.