STUDENT INITIATED ACTION

The following is information from Albert who realised he felt strongly about an issue, as a result of a learning experience, and wanted to take action.  We are very proud of Albert and the other students at Peak School who take action on their own to help others.  This is Albert’s story……

My name is Albert Haustorfer and I am in 5B at Peak School. During the first term of Year 4 in 2015 we learnt about communities and protecting our planet. During this time we were growing some Bok Choy in Gardening group to donate to the charity, Feeding Hong Kong. Unfortunately the crop didn’t get to feed people in need and instead it fed the local hungry caterpillars. By this time everyone had finished their unit of enquiry but I wanted to continue to do something more to help our communities. I heard about donating hair from some other students and decided that was what I wanted to do.

It was hard waiting for so long for it to grow and I hated brushing the knots out. I have sometimes been teased about my long hair with people calling me a girl. This upset me a bit at first but I really wanted to do the donation so I learnt to block it out.

When I cut my hair at the end of March it will go into a bag and be sent to the charity Locks of Love, where they will make a wig out of it. I had to wait until my hair was 30cm long before I could donate. Did you know it can take five heads of hair to make just one wig. I have also set up a donation page to raise money for Make a Wish foundation, they help make wishes come true for children who are seriously ill.

I am aiming to raise at least HK$10,000 for Make a Wish foundation and here is the link to my page if you would like to help me make someone’s wish come true. Thank you.

https://www.justgiving.com/Albert-chopyourlocks?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=Albert-chopyourlocks&utm_campaign=pfp-email

Albert – before the big cut!