This message is only appropriate for those parents who intend to attend the Peak School performance at St Johns on Thursday, December 6. Many schools would love the privilege of performing at St Johns, on an annual basis, but this has been extended to us over the years owing to our high standard of behaviour year after year.
It is important to remember that the cathedral is a holy place of worship that is open to the public, therefore certain etiquette must be observed and respect shown for the expected CODE OF CONDUCT.
- The congregation are asked to remain seated during the service and there is strictly no standing on pews (including children)
- Children are also not allowed to sit on the floor at the front. This is important as we have so many in the Junior Choir this year that we will need the floor space at the front.
- Children who are not involved with the performance must remain with their parents for the duration and are requested to keep their voices hushed. They should be reminded that members of the public often come in to the cathedral to pray.
- The practice of coming extra early to save seats is considered unfair and is often the cause of resentment and tension. Please avoid doing this.
- Whilst waiting for the service to begin, please turn mobile phones off and keep your children, not involved in the performance, quietly seated with you.
- After the event, refreshments are served in the cathedral garden which is still part of the cathedral community. The cathedral staff have also asked that children do not to climb in the trees or swing on the branches
Whilst it’s very tempting to try to get that great shot from the best position, we respectfully ask parents not to leave their seats and come to the front to take photos. Not only does this practice obscure views for the rest of the seated congregation but it also gets in the way of the performers and is distracting. Please note that the school staff have been given permission to take photos inside the church but this does not extend to our guests.
In order to alleviate this problem we have arranged two “official” photographers for this event and all the wonderful photos will be accessible to download. Parents who attempt to come to the front to take photos will be asked to return to their seats.
Your help and support in ensuring the evening goes smoothly is greatly appreciated.