FAMILY PASSWORD

I have talked about this before but i thought with a number of new families it was worth repeating the message.

Whilst Hong Kong is considered a very safe city I am concerned that to hear that adults approaching children in Hong Kong is on the increase.  Obviously approaches by an adult to a child is not always sinister but how many of our children know what to do if they are approached by someone they do not know.   Our children are often reminded to listen to the adults and to follow their instructions.  However, this is not always the best thing to do.

I read an online article about a child who was approached by someone he did not know.  This stranger told the boy that he had been instructed, by his mother, to pick him to take him home.  The boy replied, “what is the password“.   The man did not know the password so the boy refused to travel with him, walked away and then went straight to a trusted adult for help.

Basically the strategy is to ensure everyone in the family is aware of the “password“.  This means that if anyone approaches your child/ren about going with them e.g. picking them up after sports practice etc, the child can ask for the password before agreeing to go with them.  I thought the concept was definitely worth sharing and I leave it up to you to decide whether or not it is a good idea to implement as a family.